Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gun Control Movement On the Rise

Gun control is a controversial subject: on one hand, I understand the want to rid the world of gun violence, and on the other, I understand that law-abiding citizens want their right to bear arms. Let me start off by saying, I am on the side that wants to rid the world of gun violence, WHILE having the right to bear arms. I am a firm believer that "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

It is no new news that the Democrats in Congress are pushing to alter the second amendment. In the wakes of the attempted assasination of Congresswoman Gabriella Giffords, Democrats have jumped at the opportunity to reopen the gun control movement. Representative Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y.,who lost her husband in a fatal shooting in 1993, has renewed her effort to pass a legislation banning high-capacity magazines, or guns holding more than ten rounds. Most common handguns come straight from the factory with a standard magazine capable of holding 14-16 rounds, including those carried by law officials.

What about the massacre at Columbine? What about the fatal shooting at Virginia Tech? Among many others. Democrats have jumped at the opportunity to reopen gun control issues simply because a member of Congress was attacked. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of gun control, but I find it highly bias that dozens of students being gunned down is met by silence from the Democrats.

Sources:
Gun Owners Foundation. (2004). Gun Control Fact Sheet 2004.
http://gunowners.org/fs0404.htm

Winkler, A. (2011). Gun Control's Surprising Return.
Yahoo! News. The Daily Beast.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/20110130/ts_dailybeast/12136_guncontrolisbackonagendapostarizonashooting

Lochhead, C. Dlouhy, J. Egelko, B. (2011). Arizona trajedy renews attack on high-capacity gun magazines.
San Francisco Chronicle.
http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20110110/articles/110119929?p=2&tc=pg&tc=ar

No comments:

Post a Comment